Oven Baked Caramel Corn
- 16 cups popped popcorn (3 microwave popcorn bags)
- 3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (the clear syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter extract
- Preheat oven to 250F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Place popped popcorn into a large bowl. Mix in chopped walnuts or pecans. Evenly, spread popcorn mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup. On medium-high heat, bring to a rapid boil and boil for five minutes, stirring as necessary. Remove from burner and stir in vanilla extract and butter extract.
- Pour caramel over popcorn mixture and stir to coat. Put in oven for 15 minutes. Take it out and stir it. Repeat this every 15 minutes for one hour.
- Let cool on baking sheet. Once caramel corn is cooled, break up the popcorn and enjoy!