- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Grease a 9 inch tart pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy.
3. Add egg white and beat until well combined.
4. Add baking powder and flour and mix until combined. Dough will be sticky.
5. Press dough into the bottom and halfway up the sides of the tart pan. You can flour your fingers to help with the stickiness. The dough will make a very thin covering, but expands quite a bit, basically doubling in size, while it bakes. The dough should expand all the ways up the sides of the pan.
6. Cover the crust with aluminum foil sprayed with non stick spray. Top the foil with parchment paper and pie weights.
7. Bake crust for 7-8 minutes.
8. Remove crust from oven, allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then lift pie weights out with the parchment paper. Then carefully remove the foil.
9. To make the filling, heat milk and vanilla extract to a light, rolling boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
10. Lightly beat egg in a separate, medium-sized bowl.
11. Temper the eggs by adding a little milk to egg mixture and stirring, then adding a little more.
12. Add remaining milk and stir until combined.
13. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
14. Carefully pour filling into crust. I suggest pulling the middle oven rack halfway out, placing tart pan on rack, then slowly adding filling. The filling is pretty thin and can slosh around easily.
15. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, adding a crust shield about halfway through so the crust doesn’t burn. The center will still be a little jiggly when done.
16. Cool tart on counter for about 30 minutes to allow it to cool slowly.
17. Finish cooling tart in fridge, then sprinkle with cinnamon.