Lemon Bars Recipe
- ¾ cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ¼ cup rice flour (or cornstarch/cornflour) (Note 1)
- ½ cup icing sugar / confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 110g / 1 stick butter (cold), cut into 1cm / ½” cubes
- 3 large eggs or 4 small eggs
- 1½ cups caster sugar / super fine sugar
- 3 tbsp plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (do this before juicing)
- 6 tbsp lemon juice (2 – 3 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Spray a 20cm/9″ square tin with oil and line with baking/parchment paper with overhang (so it can be lifted out once cooked).
- Place Shortbread Base ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbs form – see photo. (Note 2) Pour into prepared tin and press evenly and firmly into the base.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven.
- While the base is baking, place Lemon Topping ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour Lemon Topping onto the Shortbread Base. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until the topping is set and light golden.
- Remove from oven and cool. Transfer to fridge and cool for 2 hours before slicing into 16 squares. Dust with icing sugar (confectionary sugar) and serve.