Homemade Oreos with Raspberry Filling Recipe
For the Cookies
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (natural or dutch processed, dutch processed will give the more truer dark brown color of oreos)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 1- 1.2oz package of freeze dried raspberries (optional, I get these at Trader Joe’s)
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar (possibly more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 TBSP hot water
- Combine cocoa powder, flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- in the bowl of the stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, mixing until incorporated and scraping down the bowl after each addition. Only mix just until incorporated and no more. This dough will become too stiff if you overmix.
- Gather your dough into a ball and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll the dough out till it is 1/4 inch thick. Leave the parchment sheet on and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Once your dough is chilled, use a small heart cookie cutter or 2 inch round cutter to cut the dough. Place the cut cookies on your baking sheet, about an inch or more apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Filling
- If using, grind the entire package of freeze dried raspberries in a food processor or spice grinder until it is a powder. If you do not want seeds in your filling, sift the powder through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer combine all of the filling ingredients until well combined. If not using the raspberry powder you may need a bit more powdered sugar if the mixture is not stiff enough.
- Fill the cooled cookies with the filling.