Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- ice water
For the Strawberry Filling
- 3 lbs fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- zest of half a small lemon
- juice of half a small lemon
For the Crust
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add a large pinch of salt. Mix together.
- Add the shortening into the flour and cut in using a pastry cutter or fork until the consistency of coarse meal.
- Gently stir in water a couple of TBSP at a time until the dough can form into a ball.
- Pat dough out into a disk and cover and place in the refrigerator to rest while your oven preheats to 375F.
- Roll the dough out to a large circle, about 3″ wider than your pie plate. Gently transfer the crust into the pie plate and lift up on all the sides to let it gently settle in. Do not stretch and pull the dough.
- Trim and crimp your crust. Prick the dough with a fork all over the bottom and up the sides. Brush just the edges with an egg white wash (optional) then lay a piece of parchment paper into the crust and fill with pie weights or beans.
- Place the prepped crust in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking, this will help reduce shrinkage, then baked at 375F for 12 minutes. Remove the parchment paper with weights and continue baking the empty crust for another 10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before filling.
For the Filling
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Chop 1/2 of the strawberries with into small pieces and save the other half to the side.
- Toss the chopped strawberries with the sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon zest and place into a sauce pan with the lemon juice over medium-low heat. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently and mashing the berries with a spoon or whisk, for about 10 minutes until very thick and glossy. This may take more time if your berries were really juicy. The mixture should cling to the spoon or spatula for a few seconds before falling back into the pan. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Cut the reserved strawberries into halves and mix with the slightly cooled cooked filling. Allow to cool to room temp before filling the pie shell.
- Pour strawberry mixture into baked and cooled pie shell. Chill in refrigerator for 3 hours, or until pie is set. Serve topped with sweetened whipped ricotta if desired.