Creamy Vegetarian Enchilada Pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- 2 cloves garlic $0.16
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles $0.87
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels $0.60
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto (or black) beans $1.19
- 1 tsp cumin $0.10
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes $0.02
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles $1.46
- 2 cups vegetable broth $0.27
- ½ cup sour cream $0.71
- 3 green onions, sliced $0.20
- ¼ bunch cilantro (optional) $0.25
- 2 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese $0.69
- Mince the garlic and sauté it in a skillet with olive oil over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Add the can of green chiles (with juices), frozen corn kernels, can of beans (rinsed and drained), cumin, and red pepper to the skillet. Stir well.
- Add the uncooked pasta and vegetable broth to the skillet. The broth will not fully cover the noodles. Place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat up to high, and allow the liquid to come up to a full boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let the skillet simmer for 10 minutes, stirring well half way through.
- While the skillet is simmering, slice the green onions, roughly chop the cilantro, and shred the cheese.
- After ten minutes of simmering, the noodles should be tender and most of the liquid absorbed. Stir the skillet well, then add the sour cream and stir until it has fully coated the pasta. Stir in most of the sliced green onions and cilantro, reserving a little to sprinkle over top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the skillet, place the lid back on top, and let the residual heat melt the cheese. Once melted, add the remaining green onions and cilantro to the top of the pasta. Serve hot.