Caramel Apple Blondies Recipe
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, plus ¼ cup walnut halves
- 2 large firm-sweet apples (about 1 pound) peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 20 meltable caramel candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, brown the stick of butter. The butter is ready when it is hazelnutty in color and smell. Do not burn the butter! Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together. In a large bowl, beat together the cooled browned butter, both sugars, and egg with a hand mixer until creamy and well-combined. Fold the chopped walnuts and apples in to the butter mixture. Then, add in the flour mixture a bit at a time, folding in until just combined.
- In your prepared pan, spread the batter evenly. Set aside.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, microwave the caramel candies for 30 seconds. Remove the candies from the microwave, stir, and microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir and then drizzle the melted caramel over the batter. Top with the walnut halves.
- Bake the blondies for 40 minutes, or until golden and set in the middle. They will stay moist and soft, but you don’t want them to wiggle when removing from the oven. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then lift the blondies out of the pan by gripping the edges of your parchment paper. If you’d like, drizzle additional melted caramel on top before serving. Cut into small bars and serve.